HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF PALMA
ABOUT MALLORCA
Add to Favourites

Palma is a very popular city with tourists every year. Coming from different parts of the world, arriving by plane, boat or cruise ship, thousands of people choose this destination for their holiday. The Majorcan capital is full of historic enclaves which transport you back to distant times. So we suggest a list of the most relevant monuments that humanity has created over the years, since forgotten times.

 

Starting with the well-known Cathedral of Majorca, also popularly known as La Seu, it is a religious temple which started being built in the 13th century. Of a Levantine Gothic style, it has one of the largest rosettes in the world.  With strong ties to the Spanish monarchy, it belonged to different royal successions.  Nowadays a multitude or extraordinary activities are held there, for example on Christmas eve there is a midnight mass presided over by the Bishop of Majorca, accompanied by the ‘chant of Sybil’ (canto de Sibila) and the ‘calenda’ Sermon.

 

Close to the cathedral, we find La Llotja. Situated opposite the sea, it was the old headquarters of the College of Merchants. It began construction in 1421 at the hands of the famous architect, Guillem Sagrera. Of a civil Gothic style, it was the trade exchange and meeting space of most of the merchants who interacted with the city’s port.  Here they carried out commercial contracts, banking transactions, etc. 

 

Another of the unique buildings of the Majorcan capital is that belonging to the Arab Baths situated at the Can Fontirroig gardens. They date back to the 11th century and are one of the few examples of Islamic architecture preserved on the island. They are a series of rooms that possibly formed part of a palace of a noble Muslim. The main room is characterised by having a set of warm baths, covered by a dome and a skylight. It also has a double floor where the warm water and the steam that was used in the baths circulated.

 

Continuing towards the outskirts of the city, and at 112.6 metres above sea level, we find Bellver Castle. Throughout history, this monument has been one of the most emblematic and original of the island.  It was built between 1300 and 1311 by order of King Jaime II. It has a Gothic style building of a circular shape with four large towers. Its function was based, over the years, on defence and as a royal residence. Inside you will be able to see the different rooms that were lived in as well as some sculptued objects or pieces and illustrations from the era. 

 

Finally, the Royal Palace of Almudaina, close to the Cathedral, is one of the official summer residences of the Spanish royal family. In fact, it has been a royal residence since the 14th century and was ordered to be built by King Jaime II on top of the original Arab fortress. The bottom floor preserves original medieval details, whilst the upper floor has characteristics of the 17th and 19th centuries.

 

Contact Futurtrans to book a bus and be able to walk around these historic monuments.


ZONE
MONUMENTS